The catalyst had been disgruntled employees downing tools in protest against the planned implementation of a new shift system. “We are looking into the allegations of sabotage, and once an individual has been identified, proper charges will be drafted,” said Hawks spokesman Paul Ramaloko.
“While we are making progress with the case, we are not able to say when the arrest will be made, but we will be guided by the outcome of our investigation.”
The power utility confirmed on Wednesday that employees who took part in last month’s illegal work stoppage were given warning letters, which they accepted. Speaking to The Citizen, City Power spokesman Sol Masolo said of all the employees who took part in the strike, only four decided against accepting the warning letters.
He stressed that the process of implementing the new shift system was continuing. “The new shift system is part of a programme to make the City of Johannesburg efficient,” he said.
Asked what residents or businesses who incurred losses as a result of the alleged sabotage last month could do, Masolo replied: “Our legal department is looking at the claims received and a third party (adjudicator) will then assess them.
“Every claim will be looked at on its own merit.” Affected residents can call City Power’s legal department on 011- 490-7546.