South Africa 16.9.2013 03:54 pm

Churches call off Marikana March

FILE PIC: Striking mine workers in Rustenburg. Picture: AFP PHOTO / STRINGER.

FILE PIC: Striking mine workers in Rustenburg. Picture: AFP PHOTO / STRINGER.

A protest march to Lonmin platinum mine against church evictions has been suspended, the Marikana Council of Churches said.

“We have reached an agreement with Lonmin today [Monday] to suspend the march and Lonmin will withdraw its court application,” said spokesman Abram Yende.

He said the camps had agreed to establish a joint task team to look into the proper allocation of church sites on land owned by Lonmin.

“The agreement cancels the planned march to Lonmin.”

Churches had been planning to march to Lonmin on Tuesday, to forced it to withdraw its court application to evict the Apostolic Faith Mission and the Harvest for Christ Family Ministries.

The application was expected to be heard at the North West High Court on September 26.

Yende said the churches also agreed to make formal application for sites.

They would also seek a second opinion on a report from Lonmin’s engineering department declaring the church structures dangerous.

The church structures were built with precast concrete slabs.

Lonmin spokeswoman Sue Vey said engineers had found that the church structures were not safe and posed a risk to congregations.

“Lonmin recommends that these structures no longer be used by the parish until such time as the premises are made safe,” she said.

“The safety and security of the Lonmin employees and their families is our number one priority.”

-Sapa

Marikana Commission postponed

ANC keeps low profile as march goes ahead

Government is taking sides – Marikana widow

Politicians accused of hijacking Marikana march

Marikana marchers hope to make statement – Seoka

 

today in print