South Africa 16.9.2013 03:50 pm

Ntuli case postponed by DBN court

The pair had been charged with stock theft.
Photo: Supplied

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

The case against a man accused of shooting a fellow worker at Durban’s King Edward VIII Hospital was postponed on Monday to next month, the National Prosecuting Authority said.

The postponement came after two lawyers were appointed to represent Ntuli in the Durban Magistrate’s Court, spokeswoman Natasha Ramkisson said.

“Today [Monday] Ntuli had an issue with representation, he had two lawyers, one from legal aid and a private one,” Ramkisson said.

“The magistrate essentially remanded the case to October 21, so the lawyers can decide which one will represent Ntuli and then appeal the bail decision.”

The 43-year-old was appearing in an attempt to appeal an August 19 ruling which denied him bail.

On that day, Magistrate Vanitha Armu denied the application because Ntuli had served four years of an eight-year sentence after being convicted of murder in 1992.

Ntuli is accused of shooting Sipho Mfayela, 54, on February 28, after he was told the results of a misconduct disciplinary hearing appeal.

He was arrested in Hillbrow, Johannesburg, in May, after nearly three months on the run. He faces charges of murder, pointing a firearm, and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

-Sapa

 

 

today in print