Cheryllee Hannam
1 minute read
31 Jul 2015
1:26 pm

Limpopo taxi bosses meet to end violence

Cheryllee Hannam

A meeting between taxi associations in Polokwane will resume today, where stakeholders are expected to give answers and clarity on issues surrounding the purported taxi violence in the Limpopo town.

Taxi drivers wait for passengers. Picture: Tracy lee Stark

This comes after a member of the Seshego Taxi Association was arrested last week for the shooting of Ben Nonyana, a member of the Mankweng Taxi Association. Nonyana was shot two weeks ago, Review Online reported.

On July 16, taxi drivers from the Seshego and Mankweng taxi associations got into a fight over commuters and routes. Nonyana tried to stop the fight when a shot was fired and he was hit.

The incident happened at the R81 traffic light just outside Polokwane . According to Mankweng Taxi Association public relations officer Frans Kgasago and Seshego Taxi Association spokesperson, Sethosa Tipe, the taxi rivalry between their associations had ended.

“We are operating as usual; there is no more fighting. Commuters can be rest assured that what happened last Thursday will never happen again,” Kgasago said.

He also added that Nonyana was released from hospital and recovering well at home.

On the day of the incident last Thursday, the Seshego, Mankweng and Flora Park taxi associations had a meeting with the police at the Polokwane police station.

At this meeting Seshego and Mankweng discussed their challenges with the police.

On Monday the Seshego, Mankweng and Flora Park taxi associations had a meeting with the department of transport, safety and liaison as well as the police, but the associations were not happy, as they said not all the stakeholders had been present at the meeting.

The associations said they had wanted transport, safety and liaison MEC, Mapula Mokaba-Phukwana and the registrar who was responsible for the issuing of permits and allocation of routes to be present at the meeting.

Meanwhile, the suspect in Nonyana’s shooting is expected to appear again in the Polokwane Magistrates’ Court on September 8 after being released on R1 000 bail.

– Caxton News Service