Student nurse dies in hospital fire

Picture: Thinkstock

KwaZulu-Natal health MEC Sibongiseni Dhlomo is today expected to visit the home of a student nurse who died in a fire at RK Khan Hospital in Chatsworth.

The student nurse, identified as Scelo Ngcobo, died after a fire broke out at the nurses’ quarters on Sunday at about 8am. He succumbed to his injuries later that evening, Rising Sun Chatsworth reported.

According to a statement by the KZN department of health, it is alleged an enrolled nursing assistant first noticed the smell of smoke and then went to investigate.

After checking several rooms, he arrived at the nursing student’s room and found the door was hot and locked. After calling for help, another staff member arrived and broke down the door.

At this point, the nursing student was on the floor and the room was filled with smoke and fire. While attempts were made to extinguish the fire, the nursing student was put on a stretcher and rushed to the resuscitation room for medical assistance. He was badly burnt and unconscious.

Sibongiseni Dhlomo also passed his deepest condolences to Ngcobo’s family.

“We are deeply shocked and saddened by the passing away of this young nursing student under such circumstances. We send our heartfelt condolences to the family,” he said.

Chairperson of the RK Khan Hospital board, Reverend Cyril Pillay, said: “I am shocked and in dismay at this sudden tragic incident and the loss of one our young nurses. Our prayers are with his family.”

Police are currently investigating the incident.

– Caxton News Service



today in print

today in print