‘NPA employee’ shot dead in Tembisa taxi war

JMPD officers. Picture: Christine Vermooten

A woman thought to be an employee of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) was shot dead and three other passengers wounded in a long-standing taxi feud that turned violent in Tembisa, Ekurhuleni, on Tuesday morning.


The victims were caught-up in a cross fire between two taxi associations at Sangweni Taxi Rank, who were fighting over an unnamed route.

Family members of the deceased identified her body at the scene but did not reveal her name, as they were too grief-stricken to speak to the media.

However, unconfirmed reports suggested that she was a member of the NPA.

The incident happened at about 5am when a group of people allegedly arrived at the rank in a minibus and opened fire at another minibus that was loading passengers.

Gauteng police spokesperson Major Mack Mngomezulu said the three wounded passengers and the deceased sustained one bullet wound each to the upper body.

“They were all shot while sitting in a taxi and a 45-year-old woman died instantly,” said Mngomezulu.

“This violence started early yesterday morning when a minibus came at this rank and its occupants also opened fire and wounded a queue marshall (a person who shows passengers taxis at the rank). It’s a fight between two taxi associations over a particular route between Midrand and Tembisa.”

The wounded passengers, two women and a man, were taken to hospital for treatment.

The incident has left many residents of Sangweni shaken as they expressed worries about their safety at the rank.

When The Citizen arrived at the scene at 10am, there were dozens of minibus taxis parked outside the rank, with several others and private vehicles on the premises. Other taxi vehicles were loading passengers as usual on many roads near the rank.

The body of the woman was still lying on the ground inside the rank and police officers were working at the scene.

Taxi owner Veli Makhaya told of how he ducked bullets and scurried for cover when the attackers descended at  Sangweni Taxi Rank rank on Tuesday morning.

“I ran an hid under a taxi bus when they started shooting,” said a visibly-shaken Makhaya.

“I actually saw those people when they arrived and called the police. They were the very same people who attacked us yesterday.”
A case of murder and attempted murder were opened for investigation and no arrests have been made.

today in print

today in print