South Africa 9.9.2013 09:23 am

Marikana hearing continues

FILE PICTURE: Retired Judge Ian Farlam. Picture: Christine Vermooten.

FILE PICTURE: Retired Judge Ian Farlam. Picture: Christine Vermooten.

The Farlam Commission of Inquiry hearings into the Marikana shooting continues in Pretoria on Monday.

The commission, sitting in Centurion, is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related unrest in Marikana last year.

Police shot dead 34 people, almost all of them striking mineworkers, on August 16 2012 while trying to disperse them.

Ten people, including two policemen and two security officers, were killed in the preceding week.

On Friday the commission heard that the absence of wounded and injured miners will have minimal effect on its hearing.

Marius Oosthuizen, for the justice department, said the commission had continued in recent weeks despite the withdrawal of Dali Mpofu, who represents the miners wounded and arrested in unrest near Lonmin’s platinum mine in Marikana, Rustenburg.

“350 miners absent from the commission won’t make it any less credible,” said Oosthuizen.

He was opposing an application by Mpofu to postponed the commission while he seeks legal funding.

The lawyers representing the police, and the evidence leaders, also oppose the postponement.

-Sapa

 

today in print