Hawks probe City Power sabotage

Image courtesy stock.xchnge

The Hawks are in the process of identifying Johannesburg City Power employees responsible for cutting the power supply around the city last week.

Speaking to The Citizen yesterday, spokesman Paul Ramaloko confirmed that no arrests had been made, and that investigations were continuing.

“We can’t say now what the workers will be charged with, as the decision would be made by the National Prosecuting Authority,” said Ramaloko.

“We are currently looking at the circumstances around the allegations of sabotage,” he added.

Malicious sabotage was blamed for the blackouts in more than 25 suburbs around the city from Thursday onwards.

The blackouts occurred after workers downed tools following City Power’s introduction of a new shift system to curb its R213 million annual overtime bill.

Disgruntled employees were believed to have allegedly turned off the switches at various grids in an attempt to strong-arm the utility.

The unprotected City Power strike is one of a number of strikes around the country.

Post office

SA Post Office confirmed that the strike by its employees in Gauteng had been called off, and that additional measures had been put in place to close the gap on the backlog this week.

Walter Sisulu University

The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) also cancelled the six weeks strike by its members at the Walter Sisulu University following an agreement last week.

The parties agreed that workers would receive a 5% annual increase back-dated to January 1.

Workers were expected to return to work today, as classes would resume as per the agreed revised university calendar.

South African Airways

The strike by South African Airways (SAA) technical staff affiliated to the SA Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) is set to continue today.

Satawu spokesman Vincent Masoga confirmed that negotiations were also scheduled to continue today.

This after two protestors assumed to be Satawu members were arrested outside SAA premises on Wednesday.

SAA spokesman Tlali Tlali said the two were part of a group that blocked main entrances leading into SAA Technical, and were taken into custody whilst trying to barricade the entrances by setting tyres alight.

“This unruly behaviour further erodes whatever remnants of sympathy there was left in support of Satawu’s cause,” said Tlali.

Staff members downed tools two weeks ago to demand a 12% salary increase, while SAA offered 6.5%.

today in print

today in print