South Africa 9.6.2015 05:47 pm

Marli van Breda heads back to school

FILE PICTURE: Family members enter the church at the Van Breda's memorial service at the Dutch Reformed Church in Moreleta Park on 5 February 2015 in Pretoria. Picture: Christine Vermooten

FILE PICTURE: Family members enter the church at the Van Breda's memorial service at the Dutch Reformed Church in Moreleta Park on 5 February 2015 in Pretoria. Picture: Christine Vermooten

Marli van Breda, the sole female survivor of the the Stellenbosch axe murders, was back at school, the teenager’s legal representative Advocate Louise Buikman confirmed on Tuesday.

“Marli is back at school and is doing extremely well,” said Buikman.

Van Breda, 16, and her brother Henri, 20, survived the attack at their family home on the De Zalze Golf Estate in Stellenbosch. Her father Martin, his wife Teresa, and oldest son Rudi were all found dead inside the home.

Marli and Henri were living separately following the assault.

She sustained serious injuries but has recuperated well enough to return to school in Stellenbosch.

“She started attending school on a full time basis after it became apparent that she was coping with her subjects and was physically able to deal with a full school day,” said Buikman.

Buikman reported that Van Breda was “delighted to be back with her friends” and had surprised her teachers and tutors with her ability to catch up on her schoolwork and excel at it.

Van Breda would however not be sitting for the current exams as she had missed out on too much school work. Specialised tutors were helping her to catch up.

“She continues to receive therapy and counselling although the intensity thereof has lessened now that she is occupied at school,” said Buikman.

Van Breda was reportedly looking forward to spending the forthcoming school holidays relaxing with family and friends.

Meanwhile, police continued their investigation despite equipment having been stolen from the South African Police Service’s Serious and Violent Crime unit offices in Stellenbosch.

“Our investigation [into the murder] is yet to be finalised and no new developments can be shared at this stage.”

Western Cape police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andre Traut confirmed the theft.

“This office can confirm that a burglary occurred at the Stellenbosch Detectives offices on May 23 during which computer equipment and other items have been stolen,” said Traut.

Traut said after investigating the theft, some of the goods were recovered and a suspect had been arrested.

“21-year-old Jonathan Abrahams was arrested in the Stellenbosch area and he made a court appearance on June 4 and again [on Monday] on charges of housebreaking and theft,” he said, “The possibility of more arrests is not excluded.”

 

today in print