Marikana miners and family members of those massacred on August 16, 2012, lodged the urgent application at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria yesterday.
The report was handed over to Zuma in March by retired judge Ian Farlam, who led the commission of inquiry into the day 34 miners were shot and killed by the South African Police Service.
Last month, Zuma said in parliament he needed time to study and apply his mind to the report before releasing it by June 30.
Yesterday, Truchten asked counsel for Zuma, Advocate Hilton Epstein, to get a commitment from the president on a specific date the report would be released.
Advocate Dumisa Ntsebeza of the Socio-Economic Rights Institute, representing the families of the victims, argued it was disrespectful to the families that they were not aware of a formal date on which the report should be released.
“They need to prepare physically and mentally for this. We need the president to commit to a date. Simply saying ‘by June 30’ is not sufficient.”
Dali Mpofu, representing the miners and Amcu, argued the timeframe of three months that the president has to study the report was irrational.
Epstein said that the president was aware of the urgency of the matter.