On Friday, Craven told The Citizen the going has been tough since he left Cosatu. He resigned at the end of March, saying Cosatu’s decision to expel former general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi was “unfair”.
Craven said he needed any job that could help keep the wolf from the door. Dlamini said Cosatu could not re-employ Craven as he had already reached retirement age. “He resigned long after reaching his retirement age. I feel sorry for him but we have a clear policy on retirement at Cosatu,” said Dlamini.
Craven said he was now entirely dependent on his wife for survival. He was speaking on the sidelines of the Civil Society Conference on the Electricity Crisis held by the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) in Johannesburg.
“Life is tough because I no longer have a source of income,” said Craven. “I fortunately have a wife who is still employed with a certain amount of savings, but certainly that cannot continue indefinitely.
“I am looking for any opportunities to change the situation. Even if your readers want to offer me something, that will be fine. “I am well over the retirement age but I still need something to put food on the table.”
Cosatu expelled Vavi in March after he had many public spats with the leadership after allegations of mismanagement of funds were levelled against him. Both Dlamini and Craven declined to reveal whether Craven had contributed to Cosatu’s pension fund and whether his contributions were paid out after he resigned.
However, Craven pointed out he did not regret parting ways with Cosatu, citing its decision to bar its members and employees from attending Numsa rallies or any that were addressed by Vavi. He said he was ready to play any role at Numsa or its soon-to-be-launched ally, the United Front, if he was given the chance.