Preshalin Naidoo, 21, who appeared in the Randburg Magistrates’ Court on Thursday on two counts of culpable homicide, was not tested as he had been taken to hospital before the Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD) arrived at the scene, said JMPD spokesperson Edna Mamonyane.
No tests could be conducted nor were they carried out at the hospital, Mamonyane added.
“Had we been on the scene, we could have gone with [Naidoo] to the hospital and requested the doctors to draw blood.”
On January 31, Naidoo’s vehicle allegedly took the William Nicol off-ramp from the N1 highway at Fourways north of Johannesburg, crossed over a middle island and crashed into Mhere’s vehicle.
Mhere, who was driving, was declared dead at the scene, as was his friend Kady-Shay O’Bryan, who was in the back seat.
Mhere’s father, who was in the front passenger seat, was taken to hospital, as was Naidoo.
The police investigation took almost five months and was “delayed” because police were investigating the possibility of additional charges.
Attorney Ryan Harrison, acting for the Mhere and O’Bryan families, said: “There was a delay signing off the post-mortem results [while adding] further charges from witness statements and suspects were considered,” he said.
No additional charges or suspects have been added to the case.
Naidoo, who was accompanied by his mother and father in court, had been “very emotional” since the accident, according to his attorney, Satch Govender.
Govender said Naidoo and his family had wanted to make contact with the Mhere and O’Bryan families to express their condolences. However, they had not done so because police had advised against this.
Naidoo is due to appear in court on June 22 for disclosure of the docket. – email@example.com