South Africa 24.4.2015 04:00 pm

Centurion man recovering after brutal assault

Vuyolwethu Tabu in hospital. Pic: Supplied

Vuyolwethu Tabu in hospital. Pic: Supplied

Vuyolwethu Tabu, 23, is recovering after an alleged brutal assault at a McDonald’s drive-through in Centurion.

Tabu had come from a late-night soccer game in Lyttelton and decided to stop for dinner at the McDonald’s on the corner of Hendrik Verwoerd Drive and Heuwel Road on Sunday, Rekord Centurion reported.

“I was in the drive-through just after 12am and saw another car I believe to have been a blue, newer model Opel Corsa in the drive-through. Two men inside the car did not order anything; they just stood there. I decided to hoot and ask them to move forward,” said Tabu.

One man then allegedly jumped out of the car and verbally assaulted Tabu. “This man was quite a big guy. I did not want to start a fight and apologised to him. The other man, who was still in the car, called the one outside, and the man who had been screaming at me eventually left.”

As Tabu reached the drive-through, he apparently saw some of his friends from the soccer practice and hooted, trying to get their attention.

“This was when the man in the car jumped out of his car, ran over and stuck his hand through my open window. He grabbed my car keys, and started beating me up. At one stage, he pulled me out of my car and started hitting my head against my car door before driving off,” said Tabu.

A near-unconscious Tabu managed to drive to a hospital, where he spent three days being treated for a broken cheek, fractured eye socket and broken nose. His car had also been damaged.

Mcdonald’s has yet to comment on the matter.

A case of assault was opened at the Lyttelton Police Station. Anyone with information about the assault can report it to Lyttelton police by calling 012-644-8600.

Caxton News Service

 

The Citizen Trail Run 2018

today in print