Amanda Watson
News Editor
1 minute read
17 Apr 2015
12:08 pm

Bob Hewitt free for another month

Amanda Watson

Convicted rapist and disgraced tennis star Bob Hewitt's sentencing has been postponed until next month in the Pretoria High Court today.

FILE PICTURE: Former grand slam tennis champion Bob Hewitt is seen at the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court where he is standing trial on two charges of rape and one of sexual assault, Monday, 9 February 2015. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

He was convicted last month by Judge Bert Bam on two counts of rape and one of sexual assault, which were committed more than 30 years ago on Suellen Sheehan,  Theresa “Twiggy” Tolken and one other woman who may not be named.

Hewitt’s defence advocate Terry Price managed to convince Judge Bam he had been unable to obtain the court records timeously, which were needed by an expert witness who would testify for Hewitt, 75, in mitigation of sentence.

Tolken – who had flown to South Africa from America – and Sheehan were visibly frustrated by the decision. “I just want this over with,” Sheehan said.

READ MORE: Bob Hewitt sentencing postponed to May

Tolken said she would not be able to return for the sentencing next month. Judge Bam said he would not postpone the matter again.