The announcement was made today by KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu at a press conference.
Last month Zwelithini sparked controversy by calling for the deportation of foreign nationals living in the country. He said it was unacceptable that locals were being made to compete with people from other countries for the few economic opportunities available. His remarks were followed by an outbreak of xenophobic violence in KwaZulu-Natal, which saw foreign-owned shops being looted. The attacks on foreign nationals later spread to other parts of the country – including Johannesburg – and left at least five people dead.
Addressing the media, Mchunu called on South Africans not to take advantage of Zwelithini’s statement and attack non-South Africans living in the country.
“We condemn the attacks on foreign nationals, but we also condemn any attack on our people who are local nationals,” said Mchunu.
Mchunu appealed to foreign nationals not to arm themselves.
“We reject that totally, and we want to send the message that we should stop that. However, we are concerned about their safety, and that is why the number of police has been increased in this province,” he said.
The premier thanked everyone who took part in the peace march that took place in Durban on Thursday.
Zwelithini continues to be lambasted on social media, following his remarks, with many using the hashtag #ZwelithiniMustFall.
— iCherry ka.. (@LeeUnmoved) April 16, 2015
This country must be careful of people like Zwelithini he always sowed divisions among blacks #ZwelithiniMustFall
— Moroka (@tswaledi_) April 17, 2015
— Alfred Kainga (@AlfredKainga) April 16, 2015
— Mark Corke???? (@MarkCorke) April 16, 2015
— #CoronaMustFall (@fanele_fs) April 15, 2015
— J. Brown. (@BrownJanitha) April 17, 2015