Formal hearing following school ‘bullying’ video

A screenshot of the video. The Citizen has chosen not to show the video because it shows the faces of the minors involved.

The department of education in KwaZulu-Natal said on Thursday it would hold a formal hearing after a video emerged of an alleged incident of bullying at a high school in Phoenix, Durban.

The short clip uploaded on YouTube earlier this month shows a group of uniformed schoolboys from Stanmore Secondary School standing around two other pupils. The two pupils then begin fighting, with one kicking the other numerous times in the chest, Maritzburg Sun reported.

They continue to scuffle before falling to the ground, after which the other boys jump in and start kicking them. It is unclear when the video was taken.

In the wake of the video, the department has urged schools to deal with similar incidents in a serious manner. Education spokesperson Muzi Mahlambi said the department would call in police to investigate those involved, including those filming such incidents.

Last month, three pupils were expelled from Vukuzakhe High School in Umlazi, Durban after a Facebook video showing them beating up a fellow school mate went viral.

The girls were initially suspended shortly after the incident took place in September 2014, and their expulsion came after the school’s governing body held a tribunal to discuss the matter further.

– Caxton News Service



today in print

today in print