Van Breda axe murder matter still in limbo

FILE PICTURE: A choir from Woodhill College sings at the Van Breda's memorial service at the Dutch Reformed Church in Moreleta Park on 5 February 2015 in Pretoria. Picture: Christine Vermooten

Although 16-year-old Marli van Breda, who survived an axe attack that left her mother, father and eldest brother dead, is already undergoing rehabilitation, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has yet to make a decision on whether to prosecute.

The Van Breda family were attacked in their home in De Zalze Golf Estate, Stellenbosch, in the early hours of January 27. Martin van Breda, 54, his wife Teresa, 55, and their eldest son Rudi, 22, were killed with an axe.

The only surviving members of the family were Marli, who was hospitalised with severe head injuries and a severed jugular, and her brother Henri, 20, whose minor injuries were reportedly self-inflicted.

Marli’s legal representative – advocate Martin Coetzee – confirmed Marli was still in a rehabilitation centre, where she was receiving physical therapy. Coetzee said although Marli recognised people and could talk and smile, her “condition is not of such a nature to give a comprehensive statement” to the police.

NPA Western Cape spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said no decision had been made, despite the murder docket having been received by the NPA for a decision on whether to prosecute. However, this did not necessarily mean they had a suspect in the matter, according to Ntabazalila.

“A docket can be brought to the NPA for a decision even if there isn’t a suspect,” said Ntabazalila. Police have kept mum about the developments in their investigations, saying only the investigation was ongoing and progress had been made.

– alexm@citizen.co.za




today in print

today in print