“I want to assure you that I am still very much a member of the board of the SABC,” she said in a statement. The SABC board passed a vote of no confidence in her on Thursday and removed her from the post. “I [like you] was shocked to learn from the media that I have been removed from the SABC board.” She had not been served with any documentation or informed of her removal from the board.
She said she had been accused of divulging board matters she was not mandated to discuss at the African National Congress communications stakeholder lekgotla. “I am currently awaiting a process to unfold through the appointing authority, Parliament and the presidency, to look into a matter I have been alleged to have committed,” she said.
The SABC announced her removal in its own statement, issued on Thursday after a meeting to discuss some members’ conduct. “Today’s meeting managed to only deal with issues relating to one non-executive director, Ms Hope Zinde, in whom the board passed a vote of no confidence and resolved to remove her as a non-executive director with effect from [Thursday],” the SABC said.
The allegations levelled against the members included fraudulent conduct, raising matters of the board externally without a mandate and non-disclosure of conflict of interest, it said. Zinde accused the board of acting unlawfully under the Broadcasting Act.
“The acting chairperson Prof [Obert] Maguvhe and the board members who supported him to carry out this illegal act, unquorated as they were, acted unlawfully by proceeding with a matter without any inquiry, facts nor evidence to prove the allegations that Ms Zinde divulged board matters to the ANC communications stakeholder lekgotla,” she said. SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago was available for comment.