McDonald’s customer finds fly in meal

Kobus Combrinck found a fried fly in his Big Mac meal. Pic: Supplied.

A McDonald’s customer at Wonderboom Junction in Pretoria was disgusted to find a fly at the bottom of his chips.

Kobus Combrinck had bought a Big Mac meal at the McDonald’s on Wednesday morning when he made the discovery, Rekord North reported.

“I got to the office and started eating my meal, only to come across a fried fly at the bottom of my chips. I was sick to my stomach,” said Combrinck.

He said that was not the first time he found something in his food at a McDonald’s branch.

“I bought a breakfast meal last year and found egg shells in my meal. This is unacceptable,” he said.

Combrinck said McDonald’s has contacted him, but has not yet come to inspect the Big Mac meal.

Sechaba Motsieloa, corporate affairs director at McDonald’s South Africa, said on Thursday the fast food corporation giant was aware of the matter and was conducting an internal investigation.

“McDonald’s South Africa adheres to the strictest food quality and safety standards and regards all reported incidents relating to our products as of the utmost importance,” he said.

Motsieloa added that McDonald’s would keep in touch with Combrinck and provide him with the necessary feedback as the investigation progresses.

In a separate incident, a woman claimed she found worms in the biltong she purchased at the Kwikspar in Danville, west of Pretoria, in January.

Worms on biltong bought by a customer at Kwikspar in Danville. Pic: Rekord Moot.

Worms on biltong bought by a customer at Kwikspar in Danville. Pic: Rekord Moot.

Daleen Swanepoel said she was eating the biltong when she discovered worms in the meat.

“I felt like throwing up when I saw the worms. I was very angry because I also gave it to my [four-year-old] grandson,” she said.

Louis Jardien, owner of the Spar, confirmed the incident and added the store conducted hygiene checks every quarter to prevent such incidents.

“The food could have been off due to heat contamination. We make our macaroni with fresh cream, and sometimes heat could be the problem,” he said.

Jardien also apologised to the customers.

– Caxton News Service



today in print

today in print