“If it is believed that the objective of the HSF’s intervention primarily related to Mr Dramat’s personal position. It wasn’t. It was to insist on the rule of law,” said director Francis Antonie in a statement.
“It is Mr Dramat’s decision, in the light of circumstances he faces, whether to remain in office or vacate it.
“But… the Minister is, we trust, now more aware that civil society, and organisations such as the HSF, will continue to monitor how the executive behaves and how they may be called to account for themselves.”
He warned civil servants to be mindful of their legal and constitutional obligations.
Dramat had been placed on leave following an agreement he reached with Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko.
Nhleko’s spokesman Musa Zondi said that Dramat and the minister had agreed that he be placed on leave “while they try to finalise other processes”.
“They met on January 29 and they agreed that the general will be on leave while their lawyers try to come to some sort of agreement,” he said.
On Tuesday, the Sowetan reported that Nhleko was working on an “exit package” for Dramat.
Judge Bill Prinsloo on Friday ruled in the High Court in Pretoria that his January 23 order allowing Dramat to return to work remained in effect, irrespective of any other appeal that may be brought.
Prinsloo also ruled that Nhleko’s decision to appoint Maj-Gen Berning Ntlemeza as acting national Hawks head was unlawful and invalid.
Dramat was suspended on December 23, pending a probe into his alleged involvement in the illegal rendition of four Zimbabweans in November 2010.