Speaking to The Citizen, Parliament spokesman, Luzuko Jacobs described the claims as “untrue”.
“It is totally wrong, because we have decided on having cocktail instead of a multi-course dinner event.”
“We will be spending R150 on each guest and not the R2500 Cope is talking about,” Jacobs said.
Meanwhile, Secretary to Parliament, Gengezi Mgidlana said on Tuesday morning that they are confident of hosting another successful Sona.
Despite threats from the EFF to disrupt the Sona, Mgidlana said: “The State of the Nation Address belongs to South Africa as a nation and it is the duty of Parliament and the security apparatus of the state to ensure there is adequate
safety and security in and around the precinct”.
Earlier on Tuesday, Ray McCauley confirmed that he has been talking to both the ANC and EFF in a bid to avoid disruptions during the Sona.