South Africa 2.2.2015 10:27 am

Judgment reserved in Dramat leave to appeal

FILE PICTURE: Head of the Hawks General Anwa Dramat at the SAPS Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on April 18, 2012 in Cape Town, South Africa where each porfolio head presented their strategic plans and budget. (Photo by Gallo Images / Foto24 / Danielle Karallis)

FILE PICTURE: Head of the Hawks General Anwa Dramat at the SAPS Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on April 18, 2012 in Cape Town, South Africa where each porfolio head presented their strategic plans and budget. (Photo by Gallo Images / Foto24 / Danielle Karallis)

Judgment in an application for leave to appeal the High Court in Pretoria’s decision to overturn Hawks boss Anwa Dramat’s suspension was reserved on Monday.

Judge Bill Prinsloo said he would attempt to give judgment as soon as he could and added that all parties would be informed.

William Mokhari, for Police Minister Nathi Nhleko, made submissions for an application for leave to appeal.

The Helen Suzman Foundation also wanted the court the enforce its ruling that Dramat’s suspension was unlawful. The foundation wants Dramat to be able to return to work.

Dramat was set to return to work last Friday, after Prinsloo ruled his suspension by Police Minister Nathi Nhleko was unlawful and invalid.

Prinsloo also ruled that Nhleko’s decision to appoint Maj-Gen Berning Ntlemeza as acting national Hawks head was unlawful and invalid.

Nhleko then applied for leave to appeal the ruling.

The police ministry said Dramat was not allowed to return to work until the appeal process had been completed.

Dramat was suspended on December 23, pending a probe into his alleged involvement in the illegal rendition of four Zimbabweans in November 2010.

 

04

today in print