South Africa 2.2.2015 08:11 am

Cannibalism case resumes

Picture: Thinkstock

Picture: Thinkstock

The case of a man accused of cutting out and eating a man’s heart will resume in the Athlone Magistrates’ Court in Cape Town on Monday.

Andrew Chimboza is accused of stabbing 62-year-old Mbuyiselo Manona to death at the Gugulethu home of a female former client of his in June last year.

When Chimboza appeared last year, prosecutor Quawnita Geyer said the investigation in the matter was incomplete and the State awaited DNA results.

Magistrate Elizabeth Ellis acknowledged that results of DNA tests usually took a while.

During his unsuccessful bail application, Chimboza admitted to stabbing Manona to death in self-defence.

The State said it had eyewitnesses who saw him sitting on top of Manona, eating chopped pieces of his heart.

The investigating officer had also testified that the post mortem doctor told him the heart had been removed while Manona was still alive.

Chimboza’s lawyer Tracey Dowman previously argued there was not yet a final post mortem report to corroborate the investigating officer’s statement about the heart.

 

06

today in print