“…There are no new developments to report regarding our investigation into the murders and attempted murder perpetrated at the De Zalze Golf Estate earlier this week,” Colonel Tembinkosi Kinana said.
He said the police could not divulge information about the medical condition of the survivors or the “finer aspects” of the investigation.
The family were attacked in their home in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Martin van Breda, 55, his wife Teresa, 54, and son Rudi, 22, were killed.
Sixteen-year-old daughter Marli van Breda was critically injured and remained in hospital.
Police have not disclosed what weapon was used in the attack nor given an indication of a possible motive.
Emergency medical services spokesman Robert Daniels said previously that Marli had an axe wound to the head and her jugular vein had been severed.
Daniels stipulated, however, that he could only comment on the wounds of the patient they treated, and not on the injuries of those killed.
The Saturday Star reported that her surviving brother Henri, 20, had scratches on his arms and was in the custody of a family member.
ENCA aired an audio clip purported to be the phonecall Henri van Breda made to emergency services following the attack.
The operator asks him what kind of injuries had been sustained.
Van Breda replies: “My family and me were attacked by a guy with an axe”.
Operator: “Unconscious, huh?”
Van Breda: “And bleeding from the head”.
The exclusive De Zalze Golf Club posted a condolence message on its Facebook page this week.
“De Zalze Golf Club committee, members and staff send our deepest condolences to the family and friends of a dear member Martin van Breda, his wife and kids. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.”
In a comment on the post, someone asks how the attack could have happened in a security estate.
The Club responds: “No breach of security. It was an isolated domestic incident. Very sad”.