The Democratic Alliance’s KwaZulu-Natal health spokesman Dr Imran Keeka said he had asked questions about the “mobile hospitals” last year, but health MEC Dr Sibongiseni had not answered them.
“Late last year I submitted a set of parliamentary questions to KZN Health MEC, Sibongiseni Dhlomo in an attempt to allay my suspicions that tender processes may not have been conducted according to procedure.”
He said all his other questions had been answered, but those surrounding tender ZNB 9281/2012-H had not been answered.
“Our questions regarding mobile hospitals remain unanswered and conveniently ignored. His evasive manner is a recurring problem which raises very serious questions of integrity,” he said.
Keeka’s statement follows an investigation by Sapa published on Tuesday which revealed that the department would spend about R61m on two vehicles, one of which was a mobile hospital vehicle leased from Mzansi Lifecare (Pty) Ltd for R52.5m over three years.
He said the DA had requested that the tender be investigated by the province’s standing committee on public accounts.
On Wednesday, the Inkatha Freedom Party said it would be referring the matter to the Public Protector’s office for investigation.
The IFP’s health spokeswoman Ncamisile Nkwanyana at the same time called for the head of the health department Dr Sibongile Zungu to be sacked.