“A man died and another one was injured when their shack caught fire in the early hours of this morning [Thursday] in George Gogh informal settlement at around 3am,” spokesman Robert Mulaudzi said in a statement.
“The injured patient was treated on scene for minor burns and later transported to hospital for further medical care while the patient who died looks like he was succumbed by smoke inhalation and died inside his shack.”
Mulaudzi said in Lenesia Hospital East, a male in his 30’s died due to smoke inhalation when his shack caught fire. The cause of the fire was believed to be paraffin stove that fell.
Meanwhile there was another shack on fire in Lion Park where one person was treated for minor burns and later transported to hospital for further medical care.
“In Diepsloot we had another shack on fire were one person was treated for serious burns and later transported to Thembisa hospital for further medical care,” he said.
Mulaudzi said disaster management officials have been activated to assist the affected families with relief.
He appealed to communities to look after their heating and lighting appliances to avoid this fire incidences.