A man suspected of being the serial killer terrorising Zululand was arrested early yesterday morning as he was making his way to a family member’s home in St Francis Bay in the Eastern Cape.
The convicted armed robber from Gauteng is believed to be responsible for the murder of at least three women.
Earlier this month Carte Blanche revealed that residents of KwaMashu, north of Durban, were so terrified of a serial killer in the area that groups of men had formed protection squads to protect women as they walked to and from taxi tanks.
All three of the known victims met the man in person after first corresponding with him on a social media website.
The arrest was made by members of the KwaZulu-Natal SAPS Crime Intelligence Service together with Tongaat detectives. Detectives established that one man had been in contact with all three murder victims, who were strangled to death in sugar cane fields before their bodies were doused with petrol and set alight.
When police found that the bank accounts of the three victims had been emptied, they obtained CCTV footage from ATM machines, and the suspect was identified by his family members.
A massive dragnet then swung into operation – with the serial killer eluding police after fleeing his home, which was only a stone’s throw from Tongaat police station. Police initially believed the suspect had fled to Gauteng.
A senior officer in police Crime Intelligence said: “We had a hell of a time trying to get him. He was hiding in the bush and being brought food by his friends. The bush around Mtunzini is so thick that it’s ideal for someone to hide in.
“Then on Friday we had some luck when we got information that he was on his way to St Francis Bay. We contacted the Hawks down that way and they made an arrest.”
The officer said that the suspect would appear in court early this week.
The source said that investigations would be conducted to find out if the suspect may be responsible for other murders.