“An elective congress will be held within the first six months of 2015,” he told reporters at the close of the African National Congress Youth League’s (ANCYL) consultative conference in Soweto.
The ANC disbanded the league’s national executive committee last year and replaced it with the NTT.
The conference was supposed to be an elective one, but the NTT announced on Tuesday that leaders would be elected at the next conference.
ANCYL convenor Mzwandile Masina said the NTT was dissolved with the end of the conference.
“There is no vacuum of leadership,” he said.
Provincial leaders would step in to help prepare for the elective conference.
During the consultative conference, which has been held in Soweto since Wednesday, delegates engaged on a number of policy issues.
The conference agreed on the need to build the strength of the ANC, Masina said.
One of the policies discussed was for women to be represented in leadership structures, Masina said.
“If in a branch the chairperson is a male, it must be a constitutional requirement that a female be secretary.”
The conference also discussed sustainable options to tackle unemployment and advance economic freedom.
The state should play a central role in reindustrialising the country, and the delegates supported the nationalisation of the mines.
The conference also supported the idea of expropriating half of farmers’ land, to be transferred to farmworkers, and the establishment of a trust for training and educating farmworkers and their children.
Other items discussed included sports centres for all schools to help keep the youth away from substance abuse, and the banning of alcohol advertising.
Masina said the conference was characterised by robust debate, which saw Thursday’s discussions stretch into early Friday morning.