On Tuesday, ANCYL task team co-ordinator Magasela Mzobe said the elective phase was planned for 2015.
“Having appreciated the gravity of challenges… and after extensive consultation with the leadership of the ANC it has been resolved that this week’s national congress of the ANCYL will be converted into a consultative national congress,” he told reporters in Johannesburg.
It is the second postponement of the election of new leadership after the elective congress was originally scheduled for September 24 to 28.
Mzobe said this week’s consultative forum would deal only with political, organisational, and functional reports, and would have commissions dealing with policy documents.
A conference at which new African National Congress Youth League leaders would be elected would be held early next year, Mzobe said.
Converting the elective congress to a consultative one meant ANCYL delegates could concentrate more on policy and rebuilding the league, instead of worrying about electing leaders.
It was supposed to have been held from November 25 to 29 at the University of Johannesburg’s Soweto Campus.
The national task team (NTT) was put in place last year after the ANC disbanded the ANCYL’s national executive committee.
This was after prolonged disagreements between its former president Julius Malema and youth league officials.
Malema and his spokesman Floyd Shivambu went on to form the Economic Freedom Fighters when Malema was expelled from the ANC, and Shivambu, who was on suspension, was expelled from the league.
The task team was appointed to pick up the pieces of the 70-year-old youth league.