Speaking to The Citizen on Tuesday, spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said there has been no major upsets so far, except for a few minor incidents.
“On Monday, a pupil was not allowed to sit for the exam in Mpumalanga for arriving an hour and 15 minutes late, as the rules state one should not be more than an hour late.
“The candidate in question will now have to explore options available to prepare for a supplementary exam, scheduled for between February and March next year,” said Mhlanga.
He said the marking process was expected to commence from Thursday next week.
This year’s exams will be marked by more than 41 000 markers, as compared to the 35 000 in 2013.
Commenting on the issue of Kuruman in the Northern Cape where pupils were barred from attending school for a period of three months by disgruntled residents demanding that more than 100km of gravel roads be tarred, Mhlanga said: “Preparations for the 496 matriculants who could not sit for this year’s exams are going well and we are confident that everything will continue to run smoothly.”
Meanwhile, grade R to 11 pupils also affected by the lengthy protest will redo their current grades in the new academic year.