1 minute read
11 Nov 2014
1:38 pm

Parly committee calls for Post Office workers to stop strike

Post office workers should return to work immediately following the voluntary resignation of the SA Post Office board, Parliament's portfolio committee on telecommunications and postal services said on Tuesday.

FILE PICTURE: Witspos staff in Johannesburg, 20 October 2014, leave the premises as the post office strike enters its third month. Some workers have began reporting for duty, with the post office saying operations are slowly returning to normal. Picture: Nigel Sibanda

“The resignations came in the wake of the meeting between the committee, Sapo board members and executive management, as well as the Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services Mr Siyabonga Cwele, on 31 October 2014 to understand the current state of affairs at the entity,” the committee said in a statement.

“The committee reiterated in this meeting that labour unions must work with Sapo management to find a lasting solution and thereby encourage workers to return to work immediately.”

The call by the committee came as the strike by casual workers of the Sapo entered its fourth month.

Unions are demanding an eight percent increase and the permanent employment of all casual workers.

The strike has worsened the financial situation at the post office, which faces a R400 million shortfall as mail volumes continue to decline.

Earlier this month, MPs were told the cash-strapped, strike-hammered Sapo was on the brink of collapse.

Sapa