“They are no longer allowed to speak on behalf of the family. The family is mourning Senzo’s passing and nobody is allowed to discuss anything about his life in the media,” his father, Sam, said.
Meyiwa senior, who appealed to the media to leave him in peace as he is currently going through a “difficult time”, said reports on Senzo’s life, particularly claims that he had secretly fathered a fourth child, were not accurate.
This is after Meyiwa had confirmed an article in the Sunday Times that Senzo had another child whom the soccer player had kept a secret.
“I know nothing about that, it is all lies. Can you media people leave me alone,” he said.
READ MORE: Meyiwa murder suspect in court today
Buthelezi confirmed that Meyiwa senior had barred her and Miya from commenting on Senzo’s affairs in the media.
“Yes, he said that but it is because of you guys in the media – you have been harassing him all the time. From now onward, we will no longer be speaking to you guys,” she said.
Since Senzo’s death two weeks ago, the family had been inundated with media inquiries on among other things, claims that the soccer player had separated from his wife Mandisa Mkhize and was on the verge of marrying singer Kelly Khumalo, whom he had been sharing a house with.
It also emerged that Senzo and Mandisa were not officially married as the soccer player had only paid lobola for her.
When The Citizen visited Mkhize at Umlazi’s AA section, a family member who answered the door, said she too was not willing to speak to the media.
“As you would know, Mandisa has just lost her husband and it would be improper for her to be speaking to the media,” the family member said.