Speaking to The Citizen, spokesman for the department, Troy Martens, said there have only been minor incidents reported, such as community protests and power outages.
“Despite the minor glitches, the exams have been able to take place,” said Martens.
A total of 551 656 full-time students and 135 259 part-time candidates have been registered to sit for this year’s exams.
The national results are expected to be released by minister Angie Motshekga early in January.
When asked if a decision had been taken on whether the results would be published in newspapers, Martens replied: “The ministerial task team appointed to look into aspects of the National Senior Certificate (NSC) recommended that we not publicise the matric results as we have been doing, in the newspapers.
“This report has been circulated to the Council of Education Ministers (CEM) and the department’s MECs will be meeting with the minister at the next CEM meeting on November 21, where it is expected that a decision will be taken on how to proceed with the recommendations,” Martens said.
Reasons for the decision have remained elusive.