South Africa 29.10.2014 07:44 pm

Police investigate Post Office violence

FILE PICTURE: A post office sign. Picture: Tracy Lee Stark

FILE PICTURE: A post office sign. Picture: Tracy Lee Stark

Police are investigating at least 167 cases of violence related to the strike at the SA Post Office (Sapo), Telecommunications Minister Siyabonga Cwele said on Wednesday.

Replying to questions in the National Assembly, Cwele said the violence associated with the over two-month-long strike was very worrying.

“As of this morning, 167 cases have been reported to police. These cases include instances of malicious damage to property, intimidation and assault,” Cwele said.

Cwele would continue engaging the post office and union leadership in a bid to ensure employees returned to work.

On the financial crisis at the post office, Cwele said a turnaround strategy would be implemented.

In addition, investigations were under way to probe ongoing irregular expenditure at the post office.

Two separate processes were under way.

“In February this year the president signed the proclamation authorising the Special Investigating Unit to investigate allegations of maladministration in the affairs of the post office,” he said.

“This will uncover the extent of the challenges at Sapo.”

The minister was also probing the leadership problems at Sapo.

“I have written to the board about some of the continuing irregularities and they are responding,” said Cwele.

“As we finalise that, we’ll be able to take action if we found that something wrong has been done.”

Earlier this month, MPs were told the cash-strapped, strike-hammered SA Post Office was on the brink of collapse.

With declining mail volumes — which makes up the bulk of Sapo revenue — the parastatal faces a R400 million shortfall.

Sapa

 

today in print