DA Gauteng transport spokesperson Justus de Goede urged officials to expedite the process of road and rail construction, to ensure another 10 year wait was avoided.
Last week, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters urged residents to “be patient”, after a decade-long delay in implementation of the project.
The department said the Moloto Corridor Development Feasibility process had been initiated to improve the public transport and the “endless challenges experienced by commuters on a daily basis”.
“The initiative is also targeted to reduce traffic congestion and to curb continuous road carnages. The project forms part of government ‘s delivery of infrastructure which has a high economic impact and benefits for the country,” the department said.
Peters had been joined by Mpumalanga Premier David Mabuza and Gauteng transport MEC Ismail Vadi for the official hand-over of the project.
This after a man was killed and 42 people sustained various injuries in a bus accident on the R573 Moloto Road last week.
— PigSpotter™ Pty Ltd (@PigSpotter) September 30, 2014
Tshwane Emergency Management Services (EMS) spokesperson Johan Pieterse said one bus had collided into the back of another which had broken down, according to eyewitnesses.
Independent forensic investigators had been instructed to examine the scene of the bus crash, according to the Public Utility Transport Corporation (Putco).
The notorious road, which links Pretoria and Mpumalanga, carries hundreds of buses with an estimated 35 000 passengers daily.