2 minute read
30 Sep 2014
12:42 pm

Farlam Commission back in Marikana

The Farlam Commission of Inquiry on Tuesday visited areas where protesting Lonmin miners were shot in August 2012.

FILE PICTURE: Maximum Harvest Ministries Pastor Gcina Honono (L), Methodist Bishop Paul Van Vureen on top of the kopie n Marikana, North West, 11 August 2014, during SA Human Rights Commission assessement of the living conditions of widows of Marikana miners who were killed in 2013. Picture: Nigel Sibanda

Evidence leader Matthew Chaskalson led a large delegation of commissioners, lawyers, journalists, surviving miners and widows near the hill in Wonderkop, Marikana, North West.

A few of the miners wore red Economic Freedom Fighters T-shirts while some widows wore green Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) regalia.

Compared to the previous inspection in loco, there were fewer miners and widows.

Numerous police officers accompanied the delegation. A few Nyala armoured personnel carriers were parked nearby.

The previous inspection, on September 8, was terminated due to security concerns. Chaos erupted when a woman wearing a red National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) T-shirt joined the inspection. Miners threatened her, shouting obscenities.

The area has been marked by rivalry between the NUM and Amcu. Amcu replaced the NUM as the dominant union at Lonmin’s platinum mining operations during the 2012 strike.

Commission chairman retired judge Ian Farlam intervened, telling the miners to “cut the nonsense”, but his calls went unheeded.

The commission is investigating the deaths of 44 people during unrest at Lonmin’s platinum mine in Marikana in August 2012.

Thirty-four people, mostly striking mineworkers, were shot dead in a clash with the police on August 16.

More than 70 people were wounded and more than 200 were arrested. The police were apparently trying to disarm and disperse them. In the preceding week, 10 people, including two policemen and two Lonmin security guards, were killed.

Earlier this month, Farlam said Tuesday’s inspection would focus only on areas linked to the August 16 shootings.

On Monday the phase of receiving evidence from witnesses was concluded.

“This brings the evidentiary aspect of the commission to a conclusion. We will hear arguments on dates that have been communicated to the parties informally,” Farlam said at the commission’s hearings in Pretoria.

He said the dates for arguments would be made public.

In June, President Jacob Zuma extended the inquiry to September 30. The inquiry held initial public hearings in October 2012.

Sapa