“I cannot continue granting the accused further indulgences,” Magistrate Abdul Khan said.
“This matter has to come to an end.”
Semitjie’s lawyers had asked for another postponement as their witness, a police colonel, was in the Eastern Cape.
The State opposed the move and said the same witness had failed to appear in court on numerous occasions. Khan said the matter had been postponed several times already.
“What is the chance that the witness will come to court?” he asked.
Dressed in a blue and grey tracksuit, Semitjie sat in the dock and listened as Khan turned down the request.
Semitjie, the former driver of then Gauteng housing MEC Humphrey Mmemezi, was convicted of reckless and negligent driving on December 3. He was driving Mmemezi to a meeting when he crashed into Ferreira, who was on a motorbike, in November 2011.
Ferreira, who was 18 at the time, suffered head injuries and was comatose for weeks. During the trial, the court heard that Semitjie was driving on the left side of the yellow line, had not switched on his siren, and had gone through a red traffic light.