1 minute read
31 Aug 2014
11:37 am

Lawrence Mrwebi raid is an ‘internal affair’ – NPA

National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Nathi Mncube has declined to comment further on a report of a raid on the office of specialised commercial crimes unit head Lawrence Mrwebi.

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

Asked by Sapa on Sunday to confirm the raid, Mncube declined to comment further, saying his comment to the Sunday Independent stood.

He was quoted in the newspaper, which published the report, as saying: “It’s an internal affair”.

Mrwebi told the Sunday Independent that his office was raided this week, with documents and his laptop being seized.

“I have no idea why they decided to seize the documents and computers in my office and in a sense close my work station.”

Mrwebi said the move had surprised him: “This was embarrassing and humiliating. I was being constructively dismissed,” he told the newspaper.

Earlier this month, criminal charges were laid against three NPA senior officials, including Mrwebi.

Along with former acting NPA head Nomgcobo Jiba, and director of public prosecutions for north Gauteng, Sibongile Mzinyathi, Mrwebi is facing charges of perjury.

At the time, City Press newspaper reported that the charges followed court findings made about the NPA’s leadership last year.

Sapa


EDITOR'S CHOICE