Citizen Reporter
2 minute read
18 Jul 2014
5:34 am

More testing to be done after dog food scare

Citizen Reporter

After Foodcorp had to recall and estimated 104 917 bags of dog food which was contaminated, they will now conduct tests on finished products before sending it out in the future.

Picture AFP

One of the largest dog food distributors in the country, it had to recall several of its dog food brands recently after testing revealed the presence of a maize toxin contamination.

External testing done on finished products reported higher than normal levels of deoxynivalenol, a fungus found on maize that contains mycotoxin.

Popular products such as Bobtail, Dogmor, Bonzo were recalled as well as a number of no named brands which have not been named due to a confidentiality agreement.

Upon receiving the testing results, Foodcorp said all affected brands were removed from the shelves immediately, and approximately 70% of the affected bags have been identified as having been recalled – there are about 30 000 bags potentially at risk.

Foodcorp said that all tests are conducted on all ingredients before production which is a fairly standard procedure, then after production some random tests were done on the products.

READ MORE: Contaminated pet food recalled after scare

 

“It was at this stage that we picked up some discrepancies between the tests and as a precautionary measure decided on the recall. Although the risk of this occurring is low, we have decided from now to do tests on finished product before sending out in future,” said Foodcorp.

Foodcorp added that they were assured by all their retailing partners that the infected stock was removed, but that they would continue to engage and monitor the situation to ensure that all stock was removed.

Although a massive reserve of dog food was recalled, Foodcorp said that the contaminated product would most likely only result in the dog not eating the food and have only received two reports of dogs vomiting, but say this can’t be linked to the contaminated food.

“The most likely result is that the dog refuses to eat the food and we have had about 10 of these complaints. We have had reports through our call centre of two dogs having vomited, however we have not had any confirmed reports that this is as a direct result of the dogs having ingested the contaminated food,” said Foodcorp.