Twenty initiation schools fail to comply

FILE PICTURE: Male initiates board a bus to receive health-care at a nearby health facility in Sannieshof. Picture: GCIS

At least 20 Mpumalanga initiation school applications were withdrawn after they were found to not conform with the required standards.

The National House of Traditional Leaders (NHTL) told the newspaper that five illegal schools were closed down in the province over the weekend after a raid, the New Age reported on Monday.

NHTL task team chairman Nkosi Sipho Mahlangu said the raids were started after 29 initiates died in the province last year. There were 30,000 initiates admitted to initiation schools, the New Age reported.

“We are adamant that after the police investigated, there will be some arrests,” he reportedly said.

Sapa




today in print

today in print