The search for the fifth mineworker trapped underground continues at Sibanye-Stillwater Kloof mine, the company says.
Sibanye confirmed late on Tuesday that the body of a fourth worker had been retrieved from the abandoned stope ore pass by the specialised proto teams after it was located earlier in the day.
Five mineworkers entered an abandoned working area on Monday morning, and four of them died due to poor ventilation at Sibanye’s Kloof Ikamva shaft near Westonaria, south-west of Johannesburg.
While Sibanye said a thorough investigation will be undertaken into the incident, mineral resources minister Gwede Mantashe said that the company should be held accountable for the death of mineworkers.
Meanwhile, the Minerals Council South Africa, formerly the Chamber of Mines, said today it was deeply “saddened” by the accident.
“The Minerals Council extends its condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the deceased and offers its hopes to the family of the missing miner for his safe return. And it again offers appreciation to the brave members of Mines Rescue Services for their work,” it said in a statement.
The Minerals Council said that work between its members to strive for best practice in all areas will continue, as will the industry’s quest, in close co-operation with unions and government, for the goal of zero harm.
– African News Agency (ANA)