South Africa 8.5.2018 10:16 am

PSL bosses to account to MPs on Durban stadium violence

The aftermath of fans vandalizing the stadium during the 2018 Nedbank Cup match between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars at Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban on 21 April 2018. Picture: Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

The aftermath of fans vandalizing the stadium during the 2018 Nedbank Cup match between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars at Moses Mabhida Stadium, Durban on 21 April 2018. Picture: Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

The committee will also receive a briefing from the police commissioner General Khehla John Sitole.

The executive committee of the Premier Soccer League (PSL) are expected in Parliament on Tuesday morning to update MPs on investigations into the violence that erupted following a football match last month.
 
The briefing to MPs come on the same day that two suspects are expected in the Durban Magistrate’s Court in connection with incident which saw hundreds of soccer enthusiasts storm the Moses Mabhida Stadium pitch on April 21 following the final whistle of the Nedbank Cup semi-final when Kaizer Chiefs lost 2-0 to Free State Stars.
 
“The committee resolved to invite the Premier Soccer League (PSL) to Parliament in order to be kept abreast with circumstances surrounding the violent and chaotic scenes witnessed at Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday, 21 April 2018,” Parliament’s portfolio committee on sport and recreation said in a statement.
 
“The committee will also receive a briefing from the National Commissioner of the South African Police Service (SAPS) on the status report on investigations and the legislative responsibilities of the SAPS.”
 
On Monday, the two suspects handed themselves over to police after photographs of 13 people who officers said could help them with their investigation were released.
 
Last week, Khwezilomo  Madiba, Siphosenkosi Memela and John Khumalo appeared in court on charges of public violence in connection with the same incident. The previous week, Phelelani Jojisa,34, became the first suspect to be nabbed. All four were released on R1,000 bail each, and are expected in court again on May 25. 
 
– African News Agency (ANA)

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

 

today in print