Ilse de Lange
2 minute read
4 Jun 2014
6:10 am

Henning death trial postponed on couple’s anniversary

Ilse de Lange

The murdered Chanelle Henning would have celebrated her eighth wedding anniversary yesterday. Instead her husband, Nico, once again appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court in connection with her murder.

Murder accused Nico Henning (R) leaves the the District Court in Pretoria on Tuesday, 3 June 2014 after appearing in connection with the murder of his estranged wife, Chanelle Henning. The case was postponed to November 13 for the completion of further investigations. Chanelle Henning was shot dead shortly after dropping off their child at a creche in Faerie Glen, Pretoria, in November 2011. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

The young mother was gunned down in a drive-by shooting on November 8, 2011 in Pretoria.

Her estranged husband handed himself over to the police in December last year, and was thereafter granted R10 million bail.

This followed after Gauteng drug lord Ambrose Monye and his friend Andre Gouws had a change of heart following their conviction for the murder and pointed the finger at Nico Henning as the instigator of the murder.

Monye and Gouws were sentenced to life imprisonment for their role in the killing, but were in April this year granted leave to appeal against their sentences.

Both men initially denied any role in the murder, but Gouws later admitted that he had used Monye as a middle-man to secure the services of the two hitmen, former policeman Gerhardus du Plessis and Willem Pieterse.

Gouws claimed Nico Henning had offered him R1 million to murder Chanelle because he wanted custody of his child.

Du Plessis and Pieterse are serving 18-year sentences after pleading guilty to the murder.

Henning’s trial was yesterday postponed to November 13 to aid the police in their investigation.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel said the State and defence were negotiating about possible changes to Henning’s bail conditions.

Fellow prosecutor Andrea Johnson told reporters if an agreement was reached, a date would have to be arranged for the court to confirm the new bail conditions.

Henning’s bail conditions include that he must report to the police twice a week; he is not allowed within 1km of an international point of departure; he must get permission from the investigating officer to approach any of his private aircraft and he may not leave Gauteng or the North West without permission.

Chanelle Henning’s parents, Ivan and Sharon Saincic, told reporters it was a bad day for them.

They said it was frustrating that the case against Henning kept on being postponed.

The couple is currently locked in a custody battle with Henning.