“This has occurred on rainy and cold winter days as if calculated to inflict maximum pain on the poor,” Economic Freedom Fighters spokesman Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said in a statement.
“It is no secret that South African cities, due to historic and continued problems of unemployment, poverty and inequalities have always been zones of exclusion for the poor and black people in particular.”
The evictions began on Monday and continued into Tuesday. The SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), the owner of the land, was granted an eviction order by the Western Cape High Court earlier this year.
Western Cape police said 10 people had been arrested for alleged public violence since the evictions began, with petrol bombs thrown and tyres set alight.
Ndlozi said the fact the evictions took place after the May 7 general elections was confirmation of an “unholy alliance” against the poor between the African National Congress and the Democratic Alliance.
“Had the execution of the eviction order been genuine, it would have happened earlier this year,” he said.
“Demolitions and evictions are unnecessary and solve no problem except to subject poor people to vile conditions and total destitution.”
No one in South Africa, particularly the state, should be allowed to evict anyone without providing alternative accommodation. It was irresponsible and a violation of human dignity which government had a duty to protect.
Earlier, City of Cape Town human settlements MMC Siyabulela Mamkeli said those affected would be given short-term shelter.
“The City cannot incentivise illegal land invasion by providing alternative accommodation, as we have a duty to protect the rights of those people who are on the housing waiting list,” Mamkeli said in a statement.
The city would make three community facilities available for one week to those people affected by Sanral’s action.