“The City cannot incentivise illegal land invasion by providing alternative accommodation, as we have a duty to protect the rights of those people who are on the housing waiting list,” human settlements MMC Siyabulela Mamkeli said in a statement.
“However, as part of our commitment to being a caring city, the City of Cape Town has decided to make available community facilities to those people affected by Sanral’s legal action.”
Three community facilities would be made available for a maximum period of one week.
This would ensure that with the onset of cold weather, those affected by the evictions would be sheltered while they made alternative arrangements.
Violence ensued on Monday following the enforcement of an eviction order.
It was granted to the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), owner of the land, by the Western Cape High Court earlier this year.
Lt-Col Andre Traut said three people had been arrested on Tuesday for public violence during the evictions, with the situation having cleared since the morning.
Earlier in the day, petrol bombs were thrown and tyres set alight and the situation was described by Traut as “tense”.
“We are policing the eviction notice being carried out by the sheriff of the court,” Traut said at the time.
Another seven people were arrested on Monday for public violence, and three petrol bombs confiscated.
Mamkeli said it appeared many of those affected by the evictions were young people from backyards, and it was likely they could return to their families or find other alternatives.
“The City is making this undertaking as a last resort and out of a humanitarian concern,” the MMC said.
“We will engage with Sanral to find a more long-term solution.”