The Portfolio Committee on Communications said on Tuesday that they had noted with keen interest the decision by the Films and Publications Board (FPB) to temporarily unban X-rated local film, Inxeba (The Wound).
The North High Court temporarily “unbanned” Inxeba (The Wound) Tuesday morning, which meant it would be back at cinemas around the country, after it was removed following the Film and Publication Board overturning the rating from 16SLN to 18X making it only available at adult stores last month.
“The committee understands that the decision was taken pending a court challenge to review the age restriction on the film by producers, Film Distribution Ltd and Uhuru Media Ltd,” the committee said in a statement.
They said although expressing confidence in the FPB, the Committee had called on the entity to strive for a broader consultation with the concerned stakeholders when dealing with controversial films like Inxeba.
“We will await the final decision on the matter, following the review proceedings at the Gauteng North High Court on 28 March 2018,” Humphrey Maxegwana, the Chairperson of the Committee.
The committee said they had welcomed the adoption of the Films and Publications Board Amendment Bill by the National Assembly on Tuesday.
Inxeba (The Wound) will be back at cinemas from Friday.
– African News Agency (ANA)