Alleged killer mom to apply for bail

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

A woman from the Mbekwana village outside Tzaneen who allegedly killed her 20-month-old baby was expected to apply for bail next month, Limpopo police said on Sunday.

Christina Makhanani Baloyi, 20, appeared in the Ritavi Magistrate’s Court last week and would formally apply for bail on June 2, said Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi.

The mother of two was alleged to have strangled the toddler before dumping her in a pit toilet, thinking she was dead.

“Police were alerted by community members after hearing hysterical screams of a baby from the toilet. Unfortunately, by the time the police arrived and rescued the girl from the stinking, cold toilet pit, Xitsunduxo Baloyi was already dead,” he said.

The motive for the attack was unknown.

Sapa



today in print

today in print