South Africa 19.5.2014 07:08 am

‘They can put Krejcir away’

FILE PICTURE: Radovan Krejcir at the Palm Ridge Magistrates court. Picture: Neil McCartney

FILE PICTURE: Radovan Krejcir at the Palm Ridge Magistrates court. Picture: Neil McCartney

As the trial of alleged underworld kingpin Radovan Krejcir enters its second week, the man who has devoted years to ensuring Krejcir has his day in court is now taking a back seat.

Forensic consultant Paul O’Sullivan told The Citizen he believes he has done enough; the police and prosecution has enough evidence to put Krejcir away.

O’Sullivan hoped he would not be called to testify against Krejcir in the South Gauteng High Court, sitting in Palm Ridge, east of Johannesburg. “I think they have enough that they can continue without me,” he said.

When the trial initially began on May 5, Krejcir told O’Sullivan: “Your turn is coming” as he came up from the cells to find a stony-faced O’Sullivan waiting in the court gallery.

O’Sullivan has claimed in his book that Krejcir threatened to make him “suck his c*** before he killed me”.

The trial was postponed as the defence team had been handed six compact discs, containing

57 000 pages of cellphone records by the prosecution, which it had to peruse. When the trial eventually began last Monday, the first prosecution on the stand was eyewitness Peter Vusi Msimango.

During his testimony he placed Krejcir; Desai Luphondo; former warrant officers Samuel “Saddam” Maropeng and George Nthoroane; Siboniso Miya; and another former warrant officer Jan Lefu Mofokeng at various places during the alleged kidnapping and assault of Bheki Lukhele.

Msimango, who by his own testimony is involved in criminal activity, also spoke about the apparent torture of Lukhele by Krejcir, who he said poured a kettle of boiling water over Lukhele’s head.

Lukhele is the brother of “Doctor”, who is allegedly responsible for the disappearance of R24 million worth of tik belonging to Krejcir.

Msimango said he was roped in to help find the tik – for a 2kg cut.

“I think the witness gave a true and reliable reflection of the events,” said O’Sullivan. The defence disagreed: they put Msimango through four days of cross-examination.

This prompted a warning from Judge Colin Lamont on Friday, reminding everyone the trial was set down for 15 court days and that they would have a hard time convincing him to extend the

trial.

The State plans to call about 10 witnesses. Who appears next in the stand is not known, although Lukhele – as the complainant – will have to testify at some stage – as will a man known only as Paul. He is the one who originally dragged Msimango into the mess and according to Msimango, knew Luphondo. The accused have denied any knowledge of the crimes and pleaded not guilty.

However, a trial within a trial may be looming as the State said during Luphondo’s bail application it has a confession from him – and the defence has indicated it will oppose this being used as evidence.

Follow the trial live on twitter via @CitiReporter

 

09

today in print