Krejcir trial: court hears of hunt for drugs

FILE PICTURE: A heavily armed police officer. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

FILE PICTURE: A heavily armed police officer. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

The High Court in Johannesburg, sitting in Palm Ridge, on Monday heard about the hunt for a consignment of drugs destined for Australia.

Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir, Desai Luphondo, Samuel Modise Maropeng, George Jeff Nthoroane, Jan Lefu Mofokeng, and Siboniso Miya are on trial on charges of attempted murder and kidnapping. Krejcir and Luphondo also face drug-dealing charges.

First State witness Peter Vusi Msimango, a section 204 witness, told the court how he was approached by a friend, Paul, accompanied by Luphondo. According to section 204 of the Criminal Procedure Act such a witness stands to get indemnity from prosecution if the court finds their testimony was truthful.

Msimango said he agreed to Paul’s request to help look for a man named Doctor who had disappeared with 25kg of tik that was supposed to have been transported from South Africa to Australia.

Msimango met Paul and Luphondo at Eastgate shopping centre, Johannesburg, on June 24, 2013. The three drove in Msimango’s car to Katlehong to look for Doctor, an employee at a cargo company at OR Tambo International Airport.

“Paul told me there was a problem regarding a bag of crystal meth that went missing… I did not know Desai, I only knew Paul. We had been friends for years,” Msimango told the court.

Msimango said he told Paul and Luphondo he wanted 2kg of the consignment as payment for his services.

Prosecutor Louis Mashiane asked him what he planned to do with the drugs.

“My plan was to sell it,” Msimango said.

Doctor was given the 25kg of tik and R70,000 cash as part of his payment.

On the way to Doctor’s home in Katlehong, Msimango asked Luphondo how he knew where Doctor lived.

“Desai said every time he and Radovan [Krejcir] met with Doctor to plan the transportation of the drugs, he and Radovan would follow him home to see where he lived. They wanted to be able to trust him and know where he lived,” Msimango said.

Msimango went into Doctor’s home to look for him, but an elderly woman told him Doctor left with his brother.

The three left and Luphondo called Doctor to find out where he was.

“He told Desai that he was busy and would meet with us after an hour,” Msimango said.

Doctor later changed the time and said they should meet at 6pm at a filling station, Msimango said.

The group is accused of the kidnapping and attempted murder of Doctor’s brother. The kidnapped man was allegedly kept at Krejcir’s Money Point business in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, in June last year where he was reportedly assaulted for four days.

The trial continues.



today in print