South Africa 12.5.2014 09:28 am

Krejcir back in court

FILE PICTURE: Radovan Krejcir. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

FILE PICTURE: Radovan Krejcir. Picture: Werner Beukes/SAPA

The trial of Czech businessman Radovan Krejcir and five others accused of the kidnapping and attempted murder of an East Rand man is set to start in the High Court sitting in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

In his last appearance Annelene van der Heever, for Krejcir, told the court the State had given her 56,000 documents of data derived from cellphone conversations by the accused.

She said her team was unable to go through them in time.

Judge Collin Lamont instructed prosecutor Louis Masheane to give her 100 documents Masheane said were releveant to the case.

Krejcir is charged with dealing in drugs, attempted murder, and kidnapping. His co-accused are Desai Luphondo, Samuel Modise Maropeng, George Jeff Nthoroane, Jan Lefu Mofokeng, and Siboniso Miya.

Luphondo, Maropeng, Nthoroane, and Mofokeng were released on R5000 bail each in December. Krejcir has been denied bail several times.

The group Is allegedly linked to the kidnapping and attempted murder of a man whose brother, known only as “Doctor”, disappeared with a 25kg shipment of tik he had been recruited to help smuggle through OR Tambo International Airport.

The kidnapped man was allegedly kept at Krejcir’s Money Point business in Bedfordview, Johannesburg, in June last year where he was reportedly assaulted for four days.

Sapa

 

today in print